Make a Call to 811 Part of Your Springtime Plans
Spring is finally here! With the threat of cold weather almost behind us and the ground ready for planting, eager homeowners like you are gearing up to start those outdoor digging projects. Before you reach for that shovel to start digging, remember to call 811, the national call-before-you-dig number, to ensure that your buried utility lines are marked.
The Common Ground Alliance and its 1,700 members, including Trussville Gas & Water, recognize April as National Safe Digging Month. Throughout April, Trussville Gas & Water will be promoting National Safe Digging Month through informational pieces provided through their website and Facebook page. For more information on safe digging month, visit Trussville.com, follow Trussville Gas and Water on Facebook, or visit Call811.com.
National Safe Digging Month was designated to remind Alabama residents that our land is made up of a complex underground infrastructure of pipelines, wires and cables. Striking an underground utility line while digging can cause harm to you or those around you, disrupt service to an entire neighborhood, and potentially result in fines and repair costs.
A call must be placed to 811 before every digging project, from simple landscaping projects like planting trees or shrubs, to building a deck or installing a rural mailbox. Every nine minutes an underground utility line is damaged because someone decided to dig without first calling 811. Don’t become part of the statistic – make sure to call 811!
Here’s how it works:
- One FREE, simple phone call to 811 makes it easy for Alabama 811 to notify all appropriate utility companies of your intent to dig.
- Call at least two days prior to digging to ensure enough time for utility lines to be properly marked.
- When you call 811, a representative from Alabama 811 will ask for the location and description of your digging project.
- Alabama 811 will notify affected utility companies, who will then each send a professional locator to the proposed dig site to mark the approximate location of your lines.
- Once lines have been properly marked, roll up those sleeves and carefully dig around the marked areas.
Remember to practice safe digging by calling 811 before you begin that spring project. Your yard will be a beautiful and safe space for you and your family to enjoy all season.